Thursday, September 04, 2008

Kos and Edwards.



















Photo credit: Darragh Murphy

I went to see Mr. Markos Zúñiga tonight, since for some reason he decided to hock the book at the local B&N and not the one in Union Square. He was terrifically entertaining and candid. During the Q&A I asked if he was bothered that liberal blogs, and Daily Kos in particular, hadn't gotten out in front of the Edwards/Hunter story. Here's his answer, which I'm gonna dedicate to Mickey Kaus:

You know, I’m never gonna apologize for not taking The Enquirer seriously. And remember, when this was being said, people like Byron York said, “You know, The National Enquirer has been sued lots of times and they have a reputation for being meticulous in their factchecking and their reporting.” This is Byron York in The National Review defending The Enquirer's investigation into John Edwards' sex life, essentially. I wonder what they’re saying now that The National Enquirer is reporting that Sarah Palin had an affair? Now, suddenly, they’re tabloids! How can anyone trust the tabloids.

I still don’t trust the tabloids. They may be right sometimes, but to me, that’s not a place I want to go. So, if they get something right, when they get it right, then sure, I’ll comment on it when it’s confirmed. But if they’re just reporting crap from unnamed sources in blurry -- did you see those pictures? They were like the big foot pictures! Or the Loch Ness monster, all blurry. I was like, That’s supposed to be John Edwards?

If it was The New York Times reporting it, it might have been a different story.

No comments: