Monday, July 21, 2008

Hitchens Punts.

On Saturday, Der Spiegel published an interview with Iraqi prime minister, Nuri Kamal al-Maliki, in which he seemed to endorse Senator Obama's withdrawal timetable.

Two days later, uber-hawk Christopher Hitchens, who writes maddenly fast -- “If I can’t fuck up Ann Coulter before lunch then I shouldn’t be in this business,” he once said -- begins his Slate column thusly:
It is extremely seldom that one has the opportunity to think a new thought about a familiar subject, let alone an original thought on a contested subject, so when I had a moment of eureka a few nights ago, my very first instinct was to distrust my very first instinct. To phrase it briefly, I was watching the astonishing TV series Planet Earth...


I'm sure Hitchens will point his gimlet eye on other, less pressing topics, next week.

No comments: