Saturday, June 02, 2007

Klein and Hewitt: End of the Affair?

It may be too soon to be sure, but it looks like Joe Klein and Hugh Hewitt are dunzo.

What happened? Well, initially, Hewitt was simply pissed off because Klein wrote a column critical of Romney. But then Big Media Joe got personal:


HH: I’m going back to your column, though. Do you read Victor Davis Hanson, last guy I’ll ask you about.

JK: Yes, from time to time. I think he’s ridiculous. He’s a wonderful historian, and his sense of what’s going on in Iraq right now is as foolish as Bernard Lewis’ sense.

HH: So Bernard Lewis, Victor Davis Hanson and Mark Steyn are all foolish?

JK: Yes, absolutely.

Oh no you didn't! (Klein must've done the cost/benefit calculations of appearing on Hewitt's program and realized it just wasn't worth the hassle.) So, later in the hour Hewitt, predictably, snapped:

So my question to you is, really, where do you get off, Joe? You’re a Time Magazine scribbler. You’re like David Broder, you’re like me. You know, you get out a lot, you read a lot, but I mean, I don’t think you know anything about the global struggle that we’re involved in. I think you’ve memorized some place names in Iraq and a few tribal designations. Why should we accept your assessment of someone like Romney, Harvard MBA, investment banker, saved the Olympics, ran Massachusetts, goes out and talks to all these authors, why should we trust you and not believe as I do, you’re just another lefty putting on a hit on another Republican candidate who’s starting to separate from the pack?



It was fun while it lasted.

No comments: