Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What's a Suffix Among Friends?

NYT:


At the end of his introduction of the president, Mr. Biden, who is well known for ad-libbing to the point of getting him in a little trouble, turned to Mr. Obama, embraced him and elaborated on the historic nature of the day.

“Mr. President, this is a big … deal,” he said, adding an adjective between big and deal, that begins with ‘f.’


Why so prude, Grey Lady? There's a Democrat in the White House, just like the last time the paper printed '****'!



In a recorded conversation later on October 6, Ms. Lewinsky said she wanted two things from the President. The first was contrition: He needed to ''acknowledge . . . that he helped fuck up my life.''(585) The second was a job, one that she could obtain without much effort: ''I don't want to have to work for this position . . . I just want it to be given to me.''(586) Ms. Lewinsky decided to write the President a note proposing that the two of them ''get together and work on some way that I can come out of this situation not feeling the way I do.''(587) After composing the letter, she said: ''I want him to feel a little guilty, and I hope that this letter did that.''(588)


Maybe they're spooked by the 'ing'? Not always! Even that's okay as long as the word is couched in a Candace Bushnell book excerpt ("All the way out, Peter kept making his hand into a gun shape, pretending to shoot at the other motorists. He called everyone "a fucking Polack." Janey tried to pretend that she thought it was funny.").

What's the fucking deal?

No comments: