Thursday, November 15, 2007

Andy Hatin' on the Clenis.

Sullivan:

As readers will remember, I have always found it very hard to actually hate George W. Bush. He maddens me, his policies have shaken my political allegiances and identity to the core, but I've always found him pretty congenial as a person from a distance. I'm glad I've never met him because I'd probably be totally suckered. Even on some of the deepest betrayals - spending and torture - I think his main crime has been criminal negligence and shallowness, not evil. But I do despise what he has done to this country, the wreckage in Iraq, and the dishonor of the torture/interrogation policies. I despise what he has done to conservatism, and the economic and environmental debt he will pass to the next generation. But I really, honestly don't hate him personally. Certainly not in the same league as my visceral dislike for the Clintons.
Was the last sentence an 'editing error'? Or is Andrew really this nutty? Sometimes I think it would take very little for Bush, Cheney, Addington, et al to lure Andy back to the fold.

Somehow, Sullivan's post gets worse: he admits that instead of hatred, he feels towards Bush "pity, sorrow and outrage at what he's done."

Pity? As always, I look to Friedrich Nietzsche to strengthen me on life's path: "Pity is extolled as the virtue of prostitutes."

No comments: