(For an even longer list of Putz's war statements, see here.)
Led by the likes of Lowry, our pro-war cheerleaders have held themselves out as some sort of resolute warriors and deep thinkers while spitting out idiocies literally copied from a seventh-grade pep rally. Instapundit readers over the years have heard this:* May 9, 2006: "AL QAEDA SAYS WE'RE WINNING: That's not news, really, if you've been paying attention."And on and on and on and on, with no end. Needless to say, in 2007, we're still winning, winning, winning, winning -- and the "proof" is that all of the same people are saying so.
* January 19, 2006: "YES, WE'RE WINNING."
* December 18, 2005: "Bush went out of his way to take responsibility for the war. . . .Why did he do that? Because he thinks we're winning, and he wants credit. By November 2006, and especially November 2008, he thinks that'll be obvious, and he wants to lay down his marker now on what he believed -- and what the other side did."
* April 22, 2005: "WE'RE WINNING THE WAR, says Victor Davis Hanson . . ."
* April 3, 2005: "WAS NIGHTLINE BAD FOR AMERICA? Michael Socolow: . . . 'The era of the big three network news divisions is over.' Perhaps that's why we're winning this war."
* March 22, 2005: "Dave Weigel reviews Gunner Palace and asks: . . . 'We have 150,000 soldiers risking their lives for us 24/7 in Iraq and Afghanistan. . . In what twisted universe is this not interesting?' A universe in which it's become apparent that we're winning the war, I suspect."
* August 10, 2004: "Belmont Club: 'The truism that victory has many fathers while defeat is an orphan may partially explain why the Democratic Party sought to rebrand itself as the War Party during its recently concluded convention in Boston.' Indeed."
* August 10, 2004: "Austin Bay emails from Iraq: 'Victory has many fathers. . . . I do think we're winning."
* July 12, 2004: "AUSTIN BAY SENDS THIS EMAIL FROM IRAQ: . . . 'we're winning. We can't quit.' Indeed."
* March 3, 2004: "The war effort is, in fact, going well."
* October 8, 2003: "Ralph Peters is hopping mad about the Iraq coverage: 'Recently, I visited Germany to speak with our soldiers, many just back from Iraq. The situation depicted in the media was unrecognizable to them. They'd just left a country where every indicator of success was turning positive. Yet the media insist we are incompetent and failing.'
Actually, there have been some modest improvements as late. But he's basically right. . . . Terrorists are parasitic on the press, and a particular kind of press coverage. Likewise, the press has become parasitic upon terrorists, since they provide dramatic stories without hard work. But will the public respect, or trust, parasites? Or even continue to support expansive press freedom, in light of the press's irresponsibility? Just something to think about."
* September 12, 2003: "LEXINGTON GREEN WATCHED THE OSAMA VIDEO and observes: 'This is the best they can do? Ha. Dude. We're winning.' Yes."
* August 27, 2003: "AUSTIN BAY WRITES THAT WE'RE WINNING: . . . 'It's war. It's also a war we are winning.'"
It is funny how these retards told us how we were winning for 3 years straight, how we didn't need more troops, or didn't need to replace Rumsfeld, and anyone who suggested so was an unserious terror-lover.
But now Petraeus finally has the right strategy and the surge's additional trrops means we're really, really, really winning this time.