Monday, August 13, 2007

Roger Simon: "How Dare You Accuse Me of Saying What I Said!"

Simon:

What's interesting about when people attack you is what they think you are saying, kind of a deconstructionist puzzle. Greenwald presumes that I assume Islamists are at our door. He runs the following quote as if it might come from my article: "read Zawahiri's speeches about the Plan for Caliphate!!" Of course I didn't write this at all.


What Simon wrote:

The very people most threatened by the ideology of Islamism and the institution of Sharia law –- gays, women, freethinkers -- are often the very people least likely to defend themselves against it. What we have on our Left is a culture of denial equal to, if not exceeding, the German Jews of the 1930s and one that has taken the canard about all politics being local to an almost ludicrous extreme.


Let me see if I understand this:

Gays, women, freethinkers = The Left
Jews in the 1930s = The Left
Nazis = Islamism
The Left = Fucked

Unlike Mr. Simon, my college years were spent at neither Yale nor Dartmouth. However, even with a second-tier degree, I'm confident enough to assert that things did not turn out so hot for the Jews. Methinks Greenwald -- and poor, poor Norbizness -- can be forgiven for taking Mr. Simon at his word.

As Dennis the Peasant can tell you, that's a pretty stupid thing to do.

No comments: