Monday, May 07, 2007

They do hates them some Clinton.

This isn't a timely observation, but I finally got around to watching the GOP debate on MSNBC over the weekend. One thing that struck me rather odd is the moment where the question was asked about whether it would be good for the country if Bill Clinton were back in the White House.

Now I certainly don't expect a group of Republicans to answer that question in the affirmative, but the degree to which all the candidates trashed Clinton, I thought, was a tad over the top and weirdly out of sync with the rest of the country.

Clinton left the White House with a 65% approval rating, higher than even St. Ronnie, and more than twice what W's pulling in his 7th year. And I wonder how many Americans, if asked, would prefer George W. Bush to Clinton or George H.W. Bush to Clinton, or even St. Ronnie to Clinton?

Again, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with disagreeing with Clinton's policies. But it's interesting that Republicans can scream "Ewww! Cooties!" at an immensely popular president and get away with it. If Democrats had trashed St. Ronnie at their debate you'd have seen a very different reaction.

UPDATE

I can't get YouTube to post, but here's a link to the video mentioned above.

No comments: