Thursday, May 24, 2007

Democrats didn't lose.

Frankly, I just don't get the CW that the Democrats have somehow "lost" and Bush has "won." What has he won? Another extension of the war that's pretty much flushing his ability to govern and his party's chances in '08 down the toilet?

I do agree with Atrios that giving Bush what he wants confirms the frame that Democrats are weak. But everyone knows that cutting off funding would also be framed by the corporate media and the GOP as "surrender." So no good options for the Ds.

By giving Bush what he wants, the GOP won't be able to use the war as a campaign issue against Democrats. If I were Rudy! or the Mittster, or McCain, I would've been praying that the Democrats cut off funds, so I could a) blame them for "losing" the war and b) have Iraq off the table in '08.

I just don't see why the wingnuts are so happy that W. is doubling-down after '06.

No comments: