Saturday, February 24, 2007

The problem with Hillary.



I know I'm repeating this, but it's worth going over:
Most of all, Obama said, Americans ask "why we are still in a war that should have never been authorized and should have never been waged..."
Here's what really bothers me about Hillary's authorization vote. She knew what the deal was. She was a Washington insider. She spent 8 years in the White House. A couple years as a Senator by then. She knew who the PNAC crazies were, what Wolfowitz and Feith were all about. She knew that Cheney had set up his own intelligence operation and that Bush wanted to one-up Daddy. I'm just a guy, and I knew all that stuff.

So why did she vote 'yea,' despite that?

The only logical explanation is that she bought the whole "cakewalk" theory. That's it. She knew what they were up to, but she thought it would be like Gulf War I, and she wasn't about to be on the wrong side of that politically in the wake of 9/11.

So I think her position on the war is untenable. Edwards can get away with his mea culpa, because he was only in the Senate a couple of years. But Hillary knew the score and she let Bush pull the trigger anyway, because she made the calculation that we'd win easily, and that opposing it was political suicide down the road.

So part of the reason she can't say, "I'm regret my vote" is because she can't claim ignorance and she knows we know that. She's made her bed.

No comments: