Friday, December 15, 2006

Jonah Goldberg's wager.

Atrios revisits Goldberg's crass wager offer to Juan Cole, who had too much class to take the bet. It's worth citing here, because it represents exactly the same kind of misguided and smug triumphalism that Putz has continuously exhibited about Iraq.

Are Goldberg and Putz embarrassed that they were so wrong?
Anyway, I do think my judgment is superior to his when it comes to the big picture. So, I have an idea: Since he doesn't want to debate anything except his own brilliance, let's make a bet. I predict that Iraq won't have a civil war, that it will have a viable constitution, and that a majority of Iraqis and Americans will, in two years time, agree that the war was worth it. I'll bet $1,000 (which I can hardly spare right now). This way neither of us can hide behind clever word play or CV reading. If there's another reasonable wager Cole wants to offer which would measure our judgment, I'm all ears. Money where your mouth is, doc. One caveat: Because I don't think it's right to bet on such serious matters for personal gain, if I win, I'll donate the money to the USO. He can give it to the al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade or whatever his favorite charity is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do guys like this ever respond to critism or postings like yours that nail them? or do they just ignore?

Anonymous said...

Every line in Pantload's paragraph is worth parsing for what it reveals about the writers smug ignorance...but the one that jumps out at me is the "hiding behind clver word play and cv reading"

CV reading?

Is that how Pantload dismissed Coles VAST expertise on the Middle East? "Oh, sure, you've published many books and articles on the subject and speak fluent Arabic, but what makes you think you know more about it than me, huh?"

Wanker.

An attitude very much in synch with this administration's pathological disdain for expertise.